The New testament is a book of holy scripture that teaches us about Jesus Christ. We read about Jesus Christ birth, the many miracles he performed, his crucifixion, and resurrection. We learn about men and women who followed him, became his followers and testified of Jesus Christ throughout there lives. What I find fascinating is that they were men and women who were ordinary people. We learn that Matthew was a tax collector who worked for the Roman empire. Andrew, Peter, James, and John were fishermen. In Matthew chapter 4 versus 19-20, we read about some of these fisherman, who later became apostles of Jesus Christ.
1) “And he saith unto them, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. And they straightway left their nets and followed him.” Note here that Christ is speaking to Peter and Andrew, and gives to them an invitation, " Follow me". After Jesus gives this invitation he provides a promise, "I will make you fishers of men." The next part to these versus is the take away part for me. It reads in verse 20, "And they straightway left their nets and followed him." Wow! The word straightaway can mean straight onward, without turn or curve, or immediately; right away. Peter and Andrew immediately left there nets and followed Jesus. They were obedient immediately. Obedience to Gods commandments is essential to our spiritual progression. It can be hard to change, break bad habits, and start doing what God has asked us to do. Peter and Andrew were fisherman, this was there job. This was familiar to them, and they were doing a good thing. However, the Lord commanded them, and they obeyed. They showed true discipline in there action through this immediate obedience.
I suggest that Obedience to God's commandments equal disciplined disciples. At times we need to remain disciplined in being obedient. This dichotomy is one that I'm striving to understand every day. I hope that I can straightway leave my nets, whatever that may mean for me. This takes daily effort, and throughout time, progress will be made in my discipleship. Disciples of Jesus Christ are disciplined in being obedient to Gods commandments.
hf
No comments:
Post a Comment